Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bubbles

Reality is not one big cohesive entity. Each conscious thing has its own reality, a sort of reality bubble. Each action or thought of that conscious can and often does reshape that bubble in any number of ways, altering not just their perception of reality but their actual reality. What is reality other than perception anyway?
The bubbles don’t adhere to rules based in physics. They can exist in the same place, because they are no place. They can grow and shrink without a balance of energy to draw from or give to, and they only exist in the present.
The bubbles can overlap, allowing one conscious thing to experience things in the way that another conscious thing might. I find that these experiences are particularly powerful when changing the shape of a bubble. Once that conscious thing returns to its home bubble, it finds new corners and edges everywhere.
I suppose the question is, “What lies between the bubbles?”
It’s something we’ve all experienced, I think. When it’s four AM and you’re sitting on a couch with crumbs from the whole pizza you just ate scattered all down your sweat soaked shirt and your bubble just decides to go for a walk, and get away from you for a while. Things around you start to fall apart, and suddenly you’ve been a n impossibly heavy triangle your whole life and every time the glow of the TV flickers it’s like being hit by a train in the face. You squeeze one thought through the constant wreckage that has become your mind, and it’s something primal. “I have to pee.” “But I can’t pee. I’m a triangle. Triangles can’t pee, stupid.”
I’m sure there are other ways to escape your bubble and experience the void. I bet jumping out of a plane would work once or twice. I’ll have to give that one a try.

No comments: