Thursday, August 12, 2010

Moongrass

The breeze swept by and danced with the moon soaked blades of grass. Those blades tickled a bit as they brushed against my ears and neck as I laid in the field, staring at the fires that burn far away. The cool air wafted across my skin as I tuned my ears through the crickets, through the rustling of the grass, and listened carefully to the underlying silence. A deep breath revealed a scent in the air, a crisp scent like hydrogen burning miles away. The light in the sky was soft, and my body felt heavy. My eyes drifted closed and I lost time to the night.

My eyes opened, it was still night. The scent still lingered in the air, the grass still tickled my neck, and the breeze was still cool. I tore myself off the ground and rose to my feet slowly. Glancing around, I saw nothing but a boundless moon bathed field. The crickets and rustling were absent; all that remained was the silence.
Realizing that I still hadn’t found time and there wasn’t much else to do, I picked a direction and started walking. I walked for hours, or weeks, or minutes, or decades. The landscape didn’t change; it just reflected the same constant horizon of endless grass.
After a moment of thought, I took a pen out of my pocket and jammed it into the ground as a point of reference. I knew I wouldn’t be able to see it from very far in the dark of the night, I thought the sense of distance would have a reassuring effect.
I walked backwards away from the pen, keeping it in sight and gaining distance on it. As soon as I couldn’t see it anymore, I turned around and kept walking in the same direction. It did feel good, knowing that I had moved, even though the world around me didn’t show it. As I had that thought, I heard a crunch under my foot. It was a pen. Shocked, I picked it up and examined it. It was the same pen.
I panicked. I was trapped in a field of nowhere. Exits were all around me, but they led right back to the same place. Without even realizing it, I fell to the ground sat with my legs sprawled out. Not knowing what else to do, I hurled the pen as hard as I could at the horizon. It hit me in the back of the head.
I let out a sigh.
I wanted time back.
Stupid field.
The horizon burned into me with its endless gaze for what I could only assume was centuries, and then something odd happened. The horizon started to advance on me from all sides. It came at me quick, too quick for me to react to it.
Suddenly, the field was gone. Sucked out of reality along with everything else, and there was just me. It all happened really fast, but as far as I can tell, everything passed into my mind. It nestled in as fond memories which, were unique because I remember not having them.

Alone in the void, I missed the stupid field.

No comments: